Wednesday, June 17, 2009

BARBIE GOES DANCING!!

The world's greatest Traditional Chinese Dance Teacher





My second day at school I was invited to traditional Chinese dance class with one of the teachers that has taken a particular interest in me. My mom asked about 100 questions and consulted with Pinton for about 30 minutes before we worked out a ride arrangement. My mom likes to make sure I am taken care of. My mom told me in Thailand “men are strong, women are weak” so basically I have a 10:30 curfew and can’t go for a walk alone in my village. Pinton was in charge of taking me home on his scooter after dance class.


Anywooo, after school I went home with the teacher. She took me to her home to change and collect her things for dance. Her home is a puppy farm!! She had about 30 puppies or dogs at her home. When asked if I wanted water, I felt bad but I had to tell her I was not thirsty, complete lie! She has 6 brand new Pomeranian and the dad pom is so cute! She has 2 brand new Chihuahua Puppies. She also had Shih Tzus.

I played with the puppies until dance class. Stanley and Pinton accompanied me at dance class. The class consisted of 10 grandmas and very slow Chinese moves. At first, I thought that it was going to be a very long hour but I quickly discovered the slow yogaish moves were enlightening. I probably throw the word enlightenment around way to much! There is one particular move that makes the whole hour so worth the sweat; the grandmas shake their hips. Stanley and I started laughing until we were crying. At one point Stanley and I looked at Pinton and his robotic moves made us laugh so hard that nothing came out. My abs have not been in that much pain since the time my mom kicked her friend in the butt before I pulled the wax out of Ronda’s armpit. I love Chinese Dance class!


The second day at dance class, there were 20 grandmas and a photographer. We only danced for about 40 minutes because the photo shoot took so long. The photographer took pictures throughout the class and we did a lot of group pictures. I love all of the grandmas! They made me miss my grandma; I think she would have enjoyed dancing with me! All the grandmas started giving me high fives once they saw me slap Pinton’s hand. Side note: Thais do not do high fives so I have taught everyone and all my students think its way cool; I don’t even give high fives at home. I also received my dance button and Stanley only got to borrow his buttom, I think it is still a sore subject. The dancing grandmas motto is earth, galaxy and universe… it is up to interoperate whether the galaxy is in the universe or vise versa. There are 12 dances on the tape (not a CD). The last few dances are extremely slow but very enjoyable. I don’t know how the slow dances make me sweat more than I sweat during a spinning class or run at home… Oh wait it’s because its 90 degrees plus 100% humidity!!

After dance class, Pinton took me and Stanley to the market for a sweet treat. He bought us two snacks; one was a delicious pastry and the other was lord chung. Hehe I totally didn’t spell lord chung right but it is how it sounds to my American ears. Lord chung is this liquid with a few noodles in a bag and another bag that is dumped into the larger bag. Then you tie it with a rubber band and bit off a corner of the plastic and suck it out from the bag. As we sat at the Wat in the cooler weather as the sun set, I was loving my life!! It was one of the many moments when I just think to myself there is no were else in the world that I would rather be. I fell in love with dance class more after this evening.

The next day at school, the teacher invited me to look at the pictures. She was in the middle of teaching the oldest students but in Thailand there are NO rules! There are especially no rules when it comes to driving. The class stopped and a student managed to get them projected onto an old TV from the 80’s. I was almost mortified that I was in every single picture!! Normally, I would love the attention but something about being in every picture was just too extreme. What can I say the Asians love my whiteness!


So after several dance classes, making local friends and after running into Pinton at the Saturday San Kampheang market; I got the phone call. Actually I didn’t get the phone call, Stanley got the phone call that Alex received from the Thai facilitator, who got the call from the Principal at my school, who got yelled at by Pinton’s girlfriend earlier that morning…. I hope that last run-on sentence did NOT make sense so you know how I felt when I received the information that destroyed my self esteem. Basically, my mom can not take me to dance class because she has to take care of her children so I was now forbidden from attending dance class. I also could not attend dance class because Pinton’s girlfriend is wildly jealous of me. So after de-coding the message, I learned my mother had nothing to do with me attending dance class. Pinton lives with his girlfriend at his parent’s house and even tho they are not engaged they may become engaged soon… if I don’t destroy the skinny brat’s life. So after all of this drama I was sad!! Needless to say no one informed Pinton that he was no longer allowed to flirt with me. No one informed the teachers at the school that he can not LOVE me. That day all of the teachers went to a fancy dinner… you guessed it FISH. Anywooo, at dinner the conversation turned to the subject of Pinton’s LOVE for me…. Hmmmmm My one question about the chain of phone calls was “who was notified first the Thai facilitator or Pinton”??? just wondering!! Don’t feel bad for me some good came from this drama!!... I told chase to write me the undying admiration letter!!... heheheheh My mom always says Chase is going to be scared of me but I think he is brave enough to handle lil’ old me!!




No comments:

Post a Comment