Monday, May 25, 2009

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's off to South East Asia I Go

My journey to South East Asia begins in the unruly jungle of Salt Lake City, Utah. I worked my way up the food chain @ the University of Utah to become a prestigious Hinckley Institute of Politics intern. I thrived in Washington DC and was granted my wish of an exotic adventure across the world. I was paired with the most fabulous mate Stanley! Together we had to concur five airports; SLC, LAX, Taipei Taiwan, Bangkok and finally Chiang Mai. The journey was long! The outfit choice was extremely important for many reasons. I had to wear the same outfit for three days! Ugggggh wearing the same outfit for three days goes against every personal rule I have made for myself! Secondly, I usually change my outfit at least twice a day and some days I change four times a day! Thirdly, my new family first impression was ultra important! I decide to wear my white n pink cowgirl boots cuz I'm totally a cowgirl contrary to popular belief! I then wore my favorite traveling purple skirt paired with a black peace shirt and my white poncho!! I actually wore the perfect outfit but what can I say this usually always happens!!

I have been working so hard I promised myself for the last month that I could sleep when I got onto the plane. The flight from SLC to LAX was short and sweet and I was out before we took off :) I was awake long enough to enjoy a Delta airline “cookie” tasted and looked more like a dog treat. If I only knew what I know now, I would have taken 10 cookies to last me the rest of the flights! Arriving in LAX was the most cultural shock I experienced during the journey. Changing gates was complicated and finding the right building was kinda hard! When Stanley and I entered the Bradley Terminal, we were surrounded by a sea of Asians; definitely in the right spot! The line was so long to check into China Air; Stanley and I decided to develop a traveling tactic, play dumb American. When we made it to our gate we got hassled by the most beautiful Chinese woman. We were supposed to check in downstairs and get new boarding passes but the line made that not an option! The worse part of the traveling was waiting for the 1am flight; I was up at 8am and did 20 last minute errands before my SLC flight.

When boarding the flight to Taiwan I was under the impression the flight was 6 hours because that is what I read on the itinerary. Once again I feel asleep before we left the gate! I was exhausted!! At one point during the flight I heard the most disturbing news about the length of the flight. I had no idea that I was riding a 13 hour flight to Taiwan. I was completely disoriented! I had no watch, no concept of time, how long I had been flying or sleeping or how much longer the flight would take. This feeling of being completely clueless happens more than I like to admit and frightens most that know me! I failed to read the most important part of the itinerary; Monday night turned to Wednesday morning! Stanley had to inform me about the day change; I was very upset because Tuesday May 12, 2009 never happened!! I was served chicken n’ rice with a side of worm! Uggggh I was not in America anymore; the plane food was spicy!! I kinda ate my dinner but it was sooooo gross. I keep sleeping, waking up long enough to reposition the head rest and fall asleep again. I was awakened by the flight attendant taking orders for breakfast. I could barely understand her. I decided Chinese plane eggs sounded dangerous and the girl next to me got rice soup so I ordered rice soup. Without a doubt the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten!! Once again, if I only knew then what I know now… At least the soup did not contain a worm just shrimp (possibly worse than the worm but that will never be determined)! The only reason I amused myself with these meals was utter boredom!









The Taipei airport had internet access and it made me so happy! I had been gone a day, possibly 2 days… I am still a little confused about the missing day and I had 16 emails. I was feeling the love and it took the entire lay-over to respond. I met a friend on the flight into Bangkok! He 

helped pass the time and made my trip seem completely organized. He had no place to live in Bangkok and started work in the morning! At least I had a home in Chiang Mai. My living situation changed two days before my departure which makes flying across the world slightly more scary! Once again I fell asleep on the flight; in hind sight all the sleeping helped me avoid jet lag. Before the plane descended into the Bangkok, I had to fill out transfer paper work. It can be worrisome if you are unsure of most of the answers on the questionnaire. Anywho I guessed right on most of them and got to transfer J The Bangkok airport is massive! Stanley and I were nervous about the immigration process. Turns out the immigration process was quick and easy. Our fourth security check, however, was HORRIBLE!! I almost got in a huge fight! The dumb Thai man stole my expensive facial sunscreen, facial moisturizer and body lotion!! I tried to reason with him but to no avail. He laughed as he stole it; uggggh I will never forgive him! Stan and I easily found the tallest white man at the airport, Ralph. Ralph could easily make Barbara Walter’s Top 10 most interesting people in 2009 list. He is amazing and I am so glad that he is helping us navigate S.E.A.!! Ralph is very wise and helps me understand a lot about the cultural differences that seem backwards. Ralph is a high roller and treated us to lunch! He must have spent $2.50 for the three of us to have a delicious Thai meal, including two drinks each! I had the most amazing chocolate milky drink which was not too sweet and a green soda that was bubble gum flavored. We had fatty chicken with rice which was amazing, also a total false advertising for some of the food to come…

I swear that whoever designed the branding for Thai airplanes was my twin sister or ladybrother! I love the color scheme!! The prettiest pink, purple and yellow plane with matching Thai flight attendants! The flight was an hour and once again the tired Barbie fell asleep. Arriving in Chiang Mai was glorious! It took about 10 minutes to walk to baggage claim and find our bags. I was so grateful to see my bag. I had mentally prepped myself for having my bag lost. Alex and Nate picked up Stanley and me. Before they dropped us off at our host families though, we had to drop off Ralph at his apartment. Ralph lives in a fancy apartment which offers airport pick-up. I love his building and his rent is only $300 per month. To become a exceptional jungle Barbie I need to live in Ralph’s building for one year of my life…now deciding what year.

1 comment:

  1. looking great girl! I miss you already! sooo much! i love the blog. keep posting.

    ReplyDelete